Skip to main content

Sculpture Assignment 2


 



Planned diagram

Final Composition


Final sculpture
Side view of final sculpture
Needed the wire to be closer, attached corner bracket
and hot glued so the it would stay in place.

Attaching the wire to hang
Foam board layout
Plaster covering


Initial Paint 
Laying flat on floor - photo studio


For this project the assignment was to use insulation foam board to create the base of a sculpture. I cut the foam board into various squares and rectangular shapes and layered the pieces to create a design. In order to get the pieces to stay together I used cut up skewers and glue to attach. Once the base was completed then joint compound was applied. I brushed on two layers of the plaster. The plaster used was from last year and the consistency was a bit more watered down the new compound that was delivered after I was complete. Since I used a brush to apply the compound, it left brush strokes which I used in my final design element. It took 24 hours for each of the coats of plaster to dry. I sprayed the entire piece with chalk paint in linen. The linen color was the same as the plater but it gave the surface a nice flat texture to work with. Using a pallet knife I applied grey and black acrylic paint to scrape on a design. Since the final composition had to stand on its own and have at least one side longer than 24 inches. I fashion the piece to hang on a wall, so I had to attach wire and use hot glue to get the wire to lay properly in order to hang flush on the wall.

There are several picture versions of the final sculpture. I hung it in the photo studio to take pictures and then I also hung it outside on the cement portion of the Molly Wiley building.

Since I was going to miss a class session, I worked an additional 7 hours in the wood shop and studio to put in the hours to complete the project by the deadline.

This piece was inspired by Stephanie Cohen Home store - wooden sculpture. 
 







Updated: 

I was drawn to the use of squares. Squares represent uniformity. Shapes with straight line edges, where you don’t stray away from conformity. These squares are often known as an imaginary place to store things, locked, where you can through away the key. A place to hide away your feelings, things you don’t want to feel or explore. 

The colors are derived from black and white. Two opposite ends of the spectrum. Blending to shades of grey, when adding more white or black. Finding comfort in the minimalistic color pallet adds to the theme of how deep each box is buried. Shallow, medium, or deep. Will they surface or stay buried forever?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Intertwined - Grief and Hope

  2D Project - create an image using 2 objects in various sizes to simulate foreground and background fading out of view.  For this project I used two Willow Tree sculptures created by artist Susan Lordi to compose my project. As a military widow these two sculptures hold significant meaning. The foreground is composed of more Hero statues as it signifies more of the immediate grief after suffering loss. As you move toward the middle there is hope and grief mixed together. The background contains more hope then grief as you begin to find yourself again and move forward in your journey. Willow Tree Sculptures Hero and Soar Hero sculpture shadowed from various angles

* A Few of My Favorite Things

  1. Willow Tree Angel - this angel honors fallen soldiers and the wives they leave behind. 2. The last picture my husband took with my daughter before he died. 3. The last picture of a happy moment at Disney between my son and husband. 4. Angel wings Christmas Ornament - a special ornament I have displayed on a shelving unit. 5. An art project I did in 2D Design, the angels signify the sadness of the past and the hope of the future. 

* Elements and Principles

                                                 Source Link:  Nicholas Hlobo: Artwork Survey: 2010s | Art21 Within this image of an installation exhibit by Nicholas Hlobo, I see the Principles of Repetition and Focal Point. The repetition is seen through the various fabric strands hanging creating a curtain. The focal point is seen where the strands are cut to create an opening to behind the curtain.                                                   Source: Personal Photo  This is a photo that I took while at the opening reception of Mirages at the Crisp-Ellert Art Museum. The principle of repetition is seen in the large wooden fan splayed open on the floor. The focal point of the piece for me is where all the pieces are connected together at the bottom center.