Skip to main content

Project 1 The Box













Project 1 – Boxed Mind

The box remains a central part of my art work, so I decided to look further into its meaning. The definition of a box is a container, which is an object that can be used to hold or transport something. Synonyms of a container are a vessel, a casket, and pottery. In this sense, one could consider the human mind a vessel that stores memories. This concept was intriguing and worthy of further development.

Focusing on this concept, the human mind became a space comprised of various compartments. Each compartment ranged from a single level to multiple levels. The multi-level compartment were for the more complex thoughts and feelings; places that needed more space to breathe.

As I planned the sculpture, I envisioned a mandala, made with various shaped boxes instead of circles. Originally thinking about using paper to sculpt, my vision began to change as I cut out each individual area. The piece needed to be more solid and sturdy, so I brought in the natural element of wood. Wood is a sustainable substance that lives, breathes, and dies similarly to the human body. The wood pieces can be scarred by knots, cut into so the wound weeps, and blown over by the wind. Through time is stands tall, it is resilient. Once it falls, it can be made into something beautiful and equally long lasting.

To make this piece, I traced the individual shapes onto flat thin pieces of wood. Each piece was then cut using the band-saw. The pieces were not uniform even though they came from the same shape. From out of the individually cut pieces, a multi-level design developed. Wood pieces were held together by glue, sanded down to remove the sharp splinters, and laid out onto the backboard. After the pieces were dry, I stained several to create a more in-depth appearance. The final step was to trim each of the sides to maintain a uniform composition and structure to the box. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Intertwined - Grief and Hope

  2D Project - create an image using 2 objects in various sizes to simulate foreground and background fading out of view.  For this project I used two Willow Tree sculptures created by artist Susan Lordi to compose my project. As a military widow these two sculptures hold significant meaning. The foreground is composed of more Hero statues as it signifies more of the immediate grief after suffering loss. As you move toward the middle there is hope and grief mixed together. The background contains more hope then grief as you begin to find yourself again and move forward in your journey. Willow Tree Sculptures Hero and Soar Hero sculpture shadowed from various angles

* A Few of My Favorite Things

  1. Willow Tree Angel - this angel honors fallen soldiers and the wives they leave behind. 2. The last picture my husband took with my daughter before he died. 3. The last picture of a happy moment at Disney between my son and husband. 4. Angel wings Christmas Ornament - a special ornament I have displayed on a shelving unit. 5. An art project I did in 2D Design, the angels signify the sadness of the past and the hope of the future. 

* Elements and Principles

                                                 Source Link:  Nicholas Hlobo: Artwork Survey: 2010s | Art21 Within this image of an installation exhibit by Nicholas Hlobo, I see the Principles of Repetition and Focal Point. The repetition is seen through the various fabric strands hanging creating a curtain. The focal point is seen where the strands are cut to create an opening to behind the curtain.                                                   Source: Personal Photo  This is a photo that I took while at the opening reception of Mirages at the Crisp-Ellert Art Museum. The principle of repetition is seen in the large wooden fan splayed open on the floor. The focal point of the piece for me is where all the pieces are connected together at the bottom center.