Skip to main content

Project 2 String Art

 







Project 2 - String Art


String Art dates back to the 1900's, it is art created by making designs with nails and colorful string. Mary Everest Boole is the first person to be given credit for making curves from straight lines contained within her art, which she used to explain math to her students. String Art later became the basis of the Bezier Curve. (String of The Art) Then John Eichinger was the first artist in the US to create what he called 'string mandalas' after the Hindu art form of circles within circles. (String Art Fun)

For this project, I adapted this concept of mandalas that I previously used in Project 1, which was a mandala like wood sculpture but with a square base. For these designs I used frames that were found in the wood shop, small nails, and colorful string. 

The basis for the designs were to show that even though a structure is created from a square, it can be turned into something else. My patterns were derived from squares but through the work of angles the string creates a circle as the center. The colors used start in a dark grey, gradually shifted to red, and then again shift to pink. 

For me, the materials used in this project all represent transition in form and in mood. This progression is shown through duality, a constant theme in my work.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Intertwined - Grief and Hope

  2D Project - create an image using 2 objects in various sizes to simulate foreground and background fading out of view.  For this project I used two Willow Tree sculptures created by artist Susan Lordi to compose my project. As a military widow these two sculptures hold significant meaning. The foreground is composed of more Hero statues as it signifies more of the immediate grief after suffering loss. As you move toward the middle there is hope and grief mixed together. The background contains more hope then grief as you begin to find yourself again and move forward in your journey. Willow Tree Sculptures Hero and Soar Hero sculpture shadowed from various angles

* A Few of My Favorite Things

  1. Willow Tree Angel - this angel honors fallen soldiers and the wives they leave behind. 2. The last picture my husband took with my daughter before he died. 3. The last picture of a happy moment at Disney between my son and husband. 4. Angel wings Christmas Ornament - a special ornament I have displayed on a shelving unit. 5. An art project I did in 2D Design, the angels signify the sadness of the past and the hope of the future. 

* Elements and Principles

                                                 Source Link:  Nicholas Hlobo: Artwork Survey: 2010s | Art21 Within this image of an installation exhibit by Nicholas Hlobo, I see the Principles of Repetition and Focal Point. The repetition is seen through the various fabric strands hanging creating a curtain. The focal point is seen where the strands are cut to create an opening to behind the curtain.                                                   Source: Personal Photo  This is a photo that I took while at the opening reception of Mirages at the Crisp-Ellert Art Museum. The principle of repetition is seen in the large wooden fan splayed open on the floor. The focal point of the piece for me is where all the pieces are connected together at the bottom center.